Rural Training Tract in Thermopolis, WY
An innovative program located in a truly rural/frontier environment set to immerse and train residents in a full spectrum family medicine experience. With a robust 1st year at the University of Wyoming Family Medicine Residency in Casper, WY and the 2nd and 3rd year working with a tight knit medical team in the beautiful frontier community of Thermopolis, WY. End goal being to train physicians to be able to practice as highly skilled Family Physicians in frontier or underserved communities.
- 1:2 Format with 1 resident per class
- Longitudinal Curriculum with Continuity Clinic, Hospital, ER, Nursing Home, Behavioral Medicine, and Sports Medicine with local high school and Athletic Trainer
- Exposure to both Rural/Frontier medicine and Rural/Frontier living experience
- High risk Pediatrics supplementation with Peds ER rotation in Denver and Peds inpatient at Primary Children’s in Salt Lake City both prior to arrival in Thermopolis
- High Risk OB rotation in Spokane, WA prior to arrival in Thermopolis
- Outlying Continuity clinic in either Basin, WY or Worland, WY
- Procedural Opportunities–C-sections, D&C’s, Tubal Ligations, Vasectomy, EGD/Colonoscopy, Nexplanon and IUD insertion and removal, Cardiac Stress Testing including Cardiolyte Nuclear testing, Thoracentesis, Paracentesis, Electrical Cardioversion, Skin Lesion Removal and laceration repair, Fracture and Dislocation reduction, Joint Injections
- Developing Point of Care Ultrasound Curriculum
- Weekly didactics with Casper via ZOOM Thursday afternoons and monthly SIM lab to be attended in Casper
- Community involvement with organizations and activities as physician providers in rural communities are not just providers but often asked to be leaders in differing realms as well
- Faculty–5 board certified Family Medicine Physicians and General Surgeon all in teaching and education
- Visiting Specialists including Orthopedics, Vascular Surgery, Cardiology, Radiology, Dermatology, Gynecology, IM/Oncology, and Ophthalmology
Thermopolis is a community of 3,000 people established in 1911 and home of the largest Mineral Hot Springs. It is located near the northern end of the Wind River Canyon and Wedding of the Waters, where the north-flowing Wind River becomes the Big Horn River which flows through town. Thermopolis is ringed by mountains, with the Big Horn Mountains to the east and the Owl Creek Mountains to the West
A New Critical Access Hospital is under construction with estimated completion date of 2021. The hospital has 15 beds, 2 Operating Rooms, 2 Delivery suites, and a 5 bed Emergency Room. It has a new MRI, 64 slice CT, Ultrasound, and Nuclear Medicine.