Interested residents apply in the spring of the intern year. Up to two residents in the PGY-2 and PGY-3 may participate in the OB Track. The applicants must be in good standing. The focus of the track is to provide additional experience in surgical obstetrics (c-section, tubal ligations, D&C’s) and high risk OB. These goals are obtained via participation in a surgical OB call rotation and with an additional four week rotation in Spokane as a PGY-3. The OB track participants are also responsible for a quarterly Journal Club presentation and yearly didactic lecture. The OB track resident also participates as an instructor of the ALSO course.
This track is designed for the Family Practice resident who intends on having the care of geriatric patients as a significant part of his/her practice. It is anticipated that at the end of residency, the resident will feel comfortable treating seniors across the spectrum of care with emphasis on medication management, palliative and end of life care, complex illness of older patients, hospital patient safety, transitions of care and care coordination in the ambulatory setting. There are two slots available during the 2nd and 3rd year.
- Complete a four week rotation focused on geriatrics outside of Casper. Options include Denver and other sites approved by faculty.
- Present educational training session for nursing home staff.
- The Geriatric Track resident may use remaining elective time to obtain further Geriatric experience, but it is encouraged for them to use at least some elective time to further his/her overall broad Family Medicine education with electives in areas other than geriatrics.
- Provide a Case Presentation for the WMC CME series, focusing on a case relevant to geriatric care i.e, transitions of care, polypharmacy.
- Spend some elective time with subspecialists who are often involved with geriatric care
- Presentation in community setting on geriatric topic i.e. Senior Center, church, AARP meetings.
- Routine participation in the bi-monthly Geriatric Assessment Team.